Afrika Burn 2017
EVENT | LOCATION | ROAD CONDITIONS | IDEAL VEHICLE
Update 20/02/2017: Sorry - We are Fully Booked for Afrika Burn 2017. Any cancellations or last minute availability will be posted onto our Facebook page
Due to the nature of Afrika Burn and severe damage that customers caused to campervans many years ago, Lekker Camper (“we”) add specific terms to the policy for the festival and make sure we inform you (“the customer”) in advance on lots of facts. This has meant that for the past many years we have zero problems and lots and lots of very happy campers. We really hate introducing all these rules, but it is the only choice other than banning our campers from going to the festival at all. If you are a first timer to Afrika Burn then we recommend reading more information on the Afrika Burn website and Facebook page. Lekker Camper standard terms and conditions on the rental contract do still apply, with the following exceptions and additions contained in the below important information:
Campervans: All Lekker Camper VW Campervans sleep 2 people comfortably in a double bed and come with all cooking, sleeping and relaxing equipment included. You can check out lots more information in our faqs and our campervan pages. There are also plenty more photos on our Facebook page www.facebook/com/lekkercamper and if you like us Facebook then you will see when useful info gets posted.
Driving: Your safety is important. Most tyre and windscreen damage could be avoided by travelling at 60 km / hour. Therefore we impose a 60km/h speed limit on the gravel road R355 to/from the festival. This is to protect you, as we really do not want you to have an accident. Due to the type of rocks in this area, punctures do remain a high probability. Drive slowly and cautiously. Be very observant. Avoid the stony middle mannetjie. Do not overtake. Do not drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol or anything that may impact the quality of your driving.
The Roads: The roads to Afrika Burn are extremely bad. We make sure that all our vehicles are in excellent mechanical order before you rent them. As per all our rentals, you are welcome take as much time as you like to thoroughly check the vehicle, take photos and ask questions. Once you are completely satisfied sign and accept the camper, we take no responsibility for any mechanical, electrical, undercarriage, bodywork or tyre problems you have along one of the worst gravel roads in South Africa (note: this road is on the ‘no go’ list of every standard rental company!). If you do run into any difficulties, then we will of course do our very best to assist you as quickly as we can.
Any windscreen, tyre, tyre rim, undercarriage or tyre damage or any repair, replacement or other costs is entirely for your (the customers) account. On return we check all vehicles and tyres at an independent national tyre and mechanical centre and any damage, alignment, damaged rims or tyres will be fixed or replaced on your, the customers, account.
Water: There is no water available at Afrika Burn. The VW T3 Campervans do not have running water on board. The VW T5 Campervans have a small sink which is suitable for cleaning your teeth or washing your hands only, but not enough for the festival duration. Take your own water for everything (washing, drinking, cleaning etc.) You can rent 25 litre water containers (empty or prefilled with mountain water) at R50 per container - Just add these in the Comments section when you book.
Ice: There is nothing for sale except ice at Afrika Burn. You may buy ice to keep your food and drinks cold, but you’ll need to ensure that all water is removed from fridges on a regular (at least daily) basis. Leaking water will damage the campervan units. Use leftover melted ice for cooking or cleaning. We recommend renting a cooler box from Lekker Camper as the ice queue can be long and isn't always close to your campsite. 25 litre cool boxes are available to rent at R100 per rental - just add in the Comments section when you book.
Food: There is no food or anything for sale at Afrika Burn. Afrika Burn operates on a gifting ideology, so you may find some yummy food given to you at various camps. Take all food and required items with you. Take all rubbish away with you. Do not take too much, but do take enough. Do not overload the vehicle as this represents a safety issue and you may cause an accident or be stopped by the police. Check out the Lekker Camper recommended shopping list that will be posted on facebook – www.facebook.com/lekkercamper
Electricity: There is no electricity at Afrika Burn.
The campervans are designed to be driven at least every other day or to run off electricity. If you want electricity then you can either rent a solar package from Lekker Camper (not available on 'Classic' model campervans) or get access to your own generator. All campervans are fitted with an external plug with an extension lead and internal electrical sockets. Without electricity, the fridge and lights will only work for approx. 1 day after you park up, after which your boerewors and craft beers may get warm. Running the engine stationary for long periods of time in the hot weather at the festival will cause battery issues or damage to the vehicle.
Solar Packages: The solar panels should ensure all cameras & iPads stay charged and the refreshments and meat are ice cold. The solar package is suitable for low wattage appliances only such as camera batteries, phones, tablets. It is NOT suitable for high wattage appliances such as hairdryers, hair straighteners etc. as they will overload and break the system. The power collected by the solar system is dependent on the hours of direct sunlight during the day and the power used. Save power by charging items during the day, minimise opening the fridge and turn off lights when not in use.
VW T5 Africana campervans - include a solar system
VW T3 Classic campervans - solar package available to rent - just select this as an Additional Option when you book.
Bikes: Afrika Burn is a large event and some people prefer to save their weary legs and explore using a bike. It certainly makes it much easier to travel between burns, artworks and theme camps or just to take a glorious bike ride into the karoo! Mountain bikes and racks are available to rent - just select this as an Additional Option when you book.
Mobile/Cell Phones: There is normally no or very limited mobile reception at Afrika Burn and from our understanding it drops at some point on the way to the festival, depending on which operator you are with.
- We operate on a first come, first served basis. We do not ‘hold’ campervans for customers, as it is not fair to other customers. If you wish to book your campervan, then you need to book securely on the website. One booking per campervan.
- If you want a solar package, trailer, additional tent/equipment or bikes then add this in the Optional extras section when you book. This is subject to availability.
- If you want water containers or something else specific then tell us in the Comments section of your booking.
- There is a minimum rental duration over this period which is reflected in your onine quote.
- You can opt to take the campervan for less days, but you will still pay for the minimum period.
- The deposit of R1500 will be debited from your provided credit card (only valid embossed Mastercard or Visa cards accepted) when we confirm your booking (or you may pay by INSTANT PAYMENT EFT if you prefer). This is the same as our standard booking process.
- The full remaining rental balance needs to be paid by EFT/bank transfer and proof of payment must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org . This must be cleared minimum 21 working days in advance of your rental start date to keep your vehicle reservation with no exceptions whatsover.
- The chosen excess will be locked on your credit card on the working day before your rental. Please ensure that you have sufficient funds available on your credit card, as no refunds or exceptions will be made.
- CANCELLATION FEES
- If cancelled 28 days before pick-up = Pre-payment fee only
- If cancelled 27 to 10 days before pick-up = 50% of gross rate
- If cancelled 9 days to 2 days = 75% of gross rate
- If cancelled less than 48 hours or no show = 100% of gross rate
- If vehicle is returned early for any reason no refund will be considered
Please note: - In all the above instances, the initial booking confirmation pre-payment / deposit fee is non-refundable.
- Bookings are non transferable i.e. can not be changed to another person
We know that all these ‘rules’ seem a little dull, but this is the only way that we can safely continue to rent out our campervans for the festival. We want you to have a great and happy Afrika Burn - it can be a crazy, fun and wonderful experience to be part of and it may just blow you away!
We look forward to hearing from you. If you do have any queries, then please do not hesitate to pop us an email (email@example.com) or check out our website.